Thursday, December 22, 2005

Mini-wheats, Blue Pill, Ingrid, Alito, Corporal Rubin and Hi-Hat

The blur that was December 21, 2005 is best shared in my blue bathrobe over a bowl of mini-wheats. Such is life since I took the "blue pill" (See Matrix) and went down the political campaign rabbit hole.

I had my weekly hair cut at Gerry's Barbershop in East Greenwich. I’ve been going there for at least five years and this is one of those "been there forever fixtures" in the EG community; a father-son team. It's always been small talk, but this time dad recognized me from TV and I had to let on that "Yeah, that was me. I'm running for US Senate." It's not so much I want to keep it a secret, as I struggle with wanting to be the every day guy listening to others tell me what they think about Iraq, business and Rhode Island. I already know what I think. Then again, I've solicited the opinion from over 30,000 Rhode Island households since I have started this journey. While waiting for the next open chair, I also saw my letter to the editor in the East Greenwich Pendulum about how we need a vision for this country beyond Iraq. That's gratifying.

In some ways, the highlight of my day was to see my "pal-mom-lady" and defacto campaign "handler" Ingrid. She had gone to see family and friends in DC. I got to catch my campaigning breath, but missed her and her daughter who helped last night as well. I tell her how invaluable she is to me, but can never say it enough. I didn't tell her that I agreed to teach another class (Finance) at Bryant University this semester. She arrived at the Hi-Hat just when things were beginning to sizzle. She and the whirling dervish, Rebecca Flores Amado, were the architects for last night's event. By their account we had between 200 and 250 guests last night.

My friend Judith Angel made my day, too. We had not seen much of each other since marching down in DC and she came to help out and brought the photo she had taken – (one which I will always be honored to have) of me and Corporal Tibor Rubin wearing his Congressional Medal of Honor just awarded that same day. She and the grandkids she is caring for are in my prayers. I promised her to share the importance of voting against Alito's Supreme Court nomination, whose hearings begin in January. Ironically, this is the month (22nd) that Roe v.Wade was decided.

Over the din, Rebecca and I shared with this magnificent gathering how we had been mutually inspired by one another to bring life to this campaign. As promised, we endeavored to make this a solid meet and greet. I love the "connecting" part of campaigning immensely. Folks can be so cool and I shared this with the crowd how they make such a difference in their communities and that I'm just their voice. I believe that.

I talked about the importance of women's role in our society and their ultimate contribution in Iraq (30 to date have lost their lives) and it was my goal to defend and further their place in leadership as it is for everyone who is underrepresented. This is why women's issues are not just about choice, but fundamental rights as our society's nurturers, so national healthcare should be a given, if women alone could decide things for our nation. I covered the importance of alternative energy being so much more than a financial squeeze at the pump and in the home, but the resource we are most likely to go to war over. I emphasized how education is a national imperative, not just a local one, as China eyes the top global position with its scores of college graduates in the maths and sciences as I wrestle with how to pay for my kids' education, when our Congress has decided to cut educational aid. The most rousing audience reply was my "bring home the troops" appeal. And in the blur, I forgot to say thanks to Sara and my kids. I forgot to say "thanks Ingrid". Thank you all for coming to celebrate the holidays with us. I need your help. I need your ideas. I need your support. Otherwise, it's a lonely trail long on slick ice and short on good days like this one was.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home