Thursday, December 08, 2005

William Shaw: A Real Rhode Islander

"Billy", or as many still call him, "Chief", and I have known each other long enough to be very dear friends. He's part-Portuguese and has dozens, if not hundreds, of family members here in the state. Billy has been a resident of West Warwick, North Kingston, Coventry and West Greenwich. He married his girlfriend who was in a "family way" and supported her in various occupations before becoming a building contractor. He was always interested in being a firefighter and eventually worked his way up to the Fire Chief and Deputy State Fire Marshall until recently when he sustained a life-changing spinal injury almost a year ago.

Billy is a hero to me because despite his personal and professional adversity he has maintained incredibly high spirits for his wife, Lori, and himself. He has always been involved in many volunteer and political activities. His matter-of-fact, outgoing, "can-do" personality has been an inspiration to me during my state senate campaign last year and now as a personal friend and advisor for my U.S. Senate campaign. He almost single-handedly managed the excellent voter support in Hopkinton and Richmind for me.

Billy and I speak and joke with each other weekly about life and my campaign. He reminds me where much of the real spirit of Rhode Island hails: its long time, local residents and members of Rhode Island's fire/rescue and law enforcemnent personnel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home