Monday, June 19, 2006

A break from politics

I’ve been pumped up for the past couple of weeks. We have met many wonderful people, young and young at heart, from all over the state. Sure there is some apathy there, but there is a real sense of purpose by others who want to see a change away from establishment band aids. I am especially inspired by the young who are acting on their outrage. Most folks sour on politics use the expression "my vote won't make a difference", but added together the vote not cast is wasted and we have the representation we do because of this. One remedy which would reduce the apathy is lively discourse. I've challenged Sheldon to a debate and he's not willing to find the time. It's time he hears from folks like you.

Today was Father's Day. I often spend the day trying to do as little as possible and take in how our kids are doing, what we could do better and think about my own "old man" who passed away almost ten years ago. It's important to try to get my kids to realize that it's not just a gift card holiday or a function of biology, but about relationships that require time and maintenance. I struggle with this trying to find that precious balance of wearing many hats and seldom having enough time. It dawned on me that we tend to become hardened emotionally as we grow older to better cope with the disappointments life can throw our way; yet, this is exactly the last thing we want to do. It shuts out our bond with others, especially those between us and ourchildren. It occurred to me that is exactly what's wrong with politics - we talk policies, but we haven't overcome the distrust many feel towards most politicians.

Maybe we should take more breaks and restore the feelings and emotional connections that allow for trust to be rekindled. Are we all that different from our kids? Seems not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home