Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Authenticity & Likeability Can't Be Bought

Last evening I spoke before the Providence Democratic Committee. Given there are 15 wards in the city, turnout was significant. Usually, I'd talk about bold visions to stimulate the state's economy, increase housing affordability, access to quality health care and education for all families and communities. By in large, with some personal edits, many of the Democratic candidates express similar sentiments and wish to end the war in Iraq and foreign oil dependence.

It occurred to me after a D.C. representative working at our State Democratic Party HQ stated (before I spoke) he was among eight paid organizers to help get Charlie Fogarty and Sheldon Whitehouse elected, there wasn't even the semblance of democracy in this process to help many other local and state candidates in their races. It's referred to as "a fix" by any other name. Sheldon was in another state raising funds. He did not have to be there to get the nod. I'm guessing this is one reason why the state party executive director has chosen to leave her post. She is hard working and a very, very ethical woman.

Instead, it was more important to share what people want from their elected officials - hope, compassion, understanding and action. I don't think you can buy that no matter how many commercials you pay for with wealthy contributors' funds. Being real is the glue that keeps us united. It's what makes us like and trust people.

So I decided to honor Ezekial and Maria from St. Fatima in Cumberland. They are a couple with 63 years of marriage under their belt who I met on Sunday before the Portuguese parade. I decided to honor my Director of Women and Minority Issues, Ingrid Ardaya. With much courage, she came here from Bolivia with her two young children over 20 years ago and struggled to raise them and keep them safe. This is why I go to so many churches; because we all want to keep and restore our faith. Faith and life are fragile.

This past year I have had the privilege of witnessing our Venezuelan foreign exchange student, Estefania, show the kind of courage to transition into and learn our culture, all while mastering our language and making the honor roll at high school. She is well regarded among her peers in anything but a diverse part of the state. She inspired me.

So does Jim who introduced me to the exchange student program. He had the recent misfortune of having a student accuse him of a felony theft. He lost his job, was removed in cuffs from his home with not even a previous parking ticket and has spent thousands in legal fees. Then there's Billy, a very good friend of mine whose mom was just discovered to have days to live with excruciating pain from fatal bone. She will be living with Billy, who is himself impaired from a tragic accident.

This is just how fine the line can be in our lives - whether it's one paycheck short of financial distress or one's reputation or physical health. The real question is this: when it's all that fragile who would really care for you and your family? That's who I'd like. That's who'd get my vote.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home