Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Something extra for Memorial Day

I found as a Marine leader that the greatest impact one has is when there is a real connection with individual people. Might I suggest that while celebrating Memorial Day this weekend that you select one person who either gave the ultimate sacrifice or has since passed and honor him or her?

It personalizes and humanizes.

I have never met LTC William J. Games, USA, but he was a resident of Providence, Rhode Island, a Korean War veteran and recipient of the Silver Star. The Silver Star is awarded to a person who, while serving in any capacity with the U.S. military, is cited for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force. He served with the 9th Infantry Regiment 2nd Infantry Division. U.S. Senator Claiborne Pell had submitted a bill on his behalf to obtain relief from overpayment of income taxes. He was also honored by our General Assembly in 2004.

I will give honor to him as my personal connection to those who have come before us.

Semper Fi’

Carl

4 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carl, thanks for this post, it's one of your best. What you are doing is honorable and puts a face to each of the veterans who were willing to or gave their lives. Everyone should be required to watch Badhdad ER on HBO at least once. The bodies and blood and loss are real.

I have chosen Lance Cpl. Matthew Serio, USMC from North Providence RI. During his last trip home, around Thanksgiving, he brought Iraqi cigarettes as gifts and told stories about combat, ruined cities and soldier life. "He was always good to have around. He was always upbeat and could get along with anybody," his father said.

Matthew died on 4/5/2004 after enlisting in 2001. I am honoring his life. Thank you Matthew

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your In Rememberance link to the right of your blog is GOOD. We have to remember every one of our veterans, past and present.

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to honor my dad who is now debilitated with Alzheimer's disease. They say when you lose a loved one to AD you lose them twice. This is oh so true.

My dad Morris Homer Erwin, born in 1919, served in WWII as a Merchant Marine. By the time the war was
over there were more Merchant Marines killed than Marines, yet it took until 1997 for them to gain
general recognition and Vet benefits.

Thanks for letting me say this on his behalf.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grandfather, Tom Buckles was a small statured, very intelligent and wry humored man. He wasn't what you would think of in a sailor, but he chose to serve his country and enlisted in the Navy during WWII. He served in the South Pacific and I remember him telling about a very severe storm at sea that came close to capsizing his ship. I am sure my grandmother worried much that he might not return hom, but he did, they started their family shortly thereafter.

My grandfather passed away an old man who had accomplished much in his life and while he never saw any action during the war, his willingness to serve is part of the reason I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Thanks Grandpa, I wish you well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home