Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Debate: Are two Whitehouses in DC one too many?

We Rhode Islanders are much smarter than most political candidates are willing to give us credit for. Sure, we've grown accustomed to their "wartless" resumes and "feel good" depictions of what they'll do if they're sent to Washington in 60 second sound bites as Sheldon has done. How about being honest that as long as Bush is in office, the lobbyists control Congress and we're in Iraq, we'll have to wait for a representative "of and for the people”?

I'm running, in part, because I've had enough of wealthy candidates saying (s)he cares about our troops, the elderly, the middle class and the working poor because DC advisors want you to say this...

Have you ever been in my shoes below the poverty line or working full-time at two jobs to pay for college or buy a home? Do you have an older family member who worked his entire life with no retirement, forcing him to live with a son/daughter?

Eroding health care and public education are not your personal worries while I have family relatives without health coverage. I shell out nearly $13,000 a year to cover my own family's insurance. I wonder how I will pay my own student loans and share in the cost of my five kids' college education. How long am I expected to pay double digit property tax increases for my kids' public education while books are outdated by twenty years or more?

I don't fault a wealthy politician's fortune to have been born into privilege, but please don't share that "you feel my pain". Trumpeting the accomplishment of the ambassador father is like a spoiled teenager bragging about dad's big house. It's dad's achievement, not the kid's.

Wouldn't you have a better shot of convincing the elder population, where you have very soft polling results, if you had been spending more time amongst this community during your past twenty years? Bucking the insurance and pharmaceutical industries to resurrect Medicare Plan D, when that horse is out of the gate, ignores the "why" taxpayers are paying five times more than the $100 billion claimed by this administration.

Proposing tax increases for the wealthy when most of your out-of-state, $1,000 a plate contributors are wealthy has a hollow ring. How about establishing a legacy by calling for the reduction of middle class taxes? How do you reconcile this promise with support from the rank and file in unions who might earn this royal sum in two weeks?

You were the A/G over a decade ago.... you decided to run for the state's CEO/governor....

You lost to Myrth York in the primary and didn't lend support to her campaign... and, for better or for worse, we have Carcieri as our governor.

The public has a memory and the other wealthy candidates have invested $200,000 doing their opposition research making being divorced or filing for personal bankruptcy pale in comparison to what they will undoubtedly expose during these elections. So, I'm supposed to vote for you to represent me because I can trust you more than Bush?

Nope, two Whitehouses in Washington is one too many.

1 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, two Whitehouses in Washington are one too many. Show us what you can do Carl, we need a fresh voice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home