Saturday, October 08, 2005

Many viewpoints. One Clear theme.

I'd love to say I'm tired because of training for the Marine Corps Marathon in about three weeks to support cures for childhood cancer, but I think it's more from pressing the flesh of so many people in so little time. Most people prefer to limit their social interactions to those who they know and are comfortable; otherwise, it can take a lot out of you even when you agree. Likely, this is why many avoid campaigning. In fact, you'll see some candidates and incumbents that limit their face time and prefer large media buys with talking heads to get their image and message out. It's hard work, but I think we need people who are reaching out to the public, not polls. In this week alone, I have been in contact with members of RILPAC, NOW, OUTPAC, RIC and URI College Democrats as well as Rod Driver, Ed Morabito, Ron Diorio and many other individuals from the business, civic, religious and political communities. Nothing like these interactions help frame a candidate's positions more as perspectives are shared and exchanged.

While leanings range from the far left to the far right, I think there's a common sentiment that cries for new, independent representation. Many of our youth, Green Party members and Libertarians have the fortitude to break away from or challenge our two-party system that seems to many to be more like a single party system. When we look at the current RI US Senate candidates and incumbent, one might argue that 80% of voters see vanilla ice cream. When this happens they tend to buy the same brand - a Chafeesicle, if you will. This is why I have made it clear that I adhere to the early 70's style Democratic principles that seemed to genuinely reflect compassion for and representation of people and not big corporate interests. On the same note, I think our domestic security is woefully inadequate.

I was amazed and disappointed to learn Chafee had accepted campaign contributions from Cheney's Halliburton cronies and that his voting record differs so widely from what he shares when back in Rhode Island. Halliburton has riped of taxpayers and the military in Iraq and won a no bid contract to rebuild New Orleans. Need I say more? Given that Chafee's last DC fundraiser had "W" scheduled as the host was telling. I was amused by Sheldon Walmart's claim to Brown University College Democrats that he supported campaign finance reform as he accepts $500, $1,000 and higher checks from people and entities that were anything but populist. Did you catch Laffey's first fundraiser of $1,000 a plate?

Certainly, the challenge I present to the readers of this blog is to convince people they have the power to influence the primary. I'd rather 55,000 committed voters who might not have more than $10 to contribute than 550 with $1,000 each to contribute. I'd rather 10 hours of time commitment writing letters to the editor, sharing this blog with 10 other friends and sending me feedback on what I could do better or differently. Don't get me wrong, I am on the record as saying whether I receive a contribution of $1.00 or $1,000, I am a populist candidate and will not respond to special favors towards contributors.

On October 25, Tuesday at 5:30pm at Hope High School I will hold a rally and announcement with plenty of media and food. There will also be live music played by esteemed members of the Providence Fire Department who played in August at my home for a food drive benefiting the RI Food Bank.

My focus will be anti-Bush and a demand for an immediate exit from our War in Iraq. It will condemn those in Congress who have not taken any meaningful steps to stop the greed of oil interests. I want to acknowledge the true patriots challenging the Bush monarchy. They are supporting our troops and their families by wanting them returned safely now. As I write this, the GOP is attempting to gut existing and future veteran and military benefits while at the same time increasing the likelihood of a future draft with a prolonged presence in Iraq. This is the same administration that provided inadequate armor for our personnel and their vehicles and has no exit strategy while it attempts to apply western democratic principles on a feudal system that has been in existence for over 2,000 years.

Let the Saudi's pick up the tab. Osama and his followers who changed our way of life after 9/11 were principally from Saudi Arabia and it’s mostly their oil we're defending. It is nevertheless my testimony that our troops’ blood is not for sale and one more body bag added to the 2,000 is not worth it. In the meantime, we are woefully underprotected at home with an underfunded national security policy. I'm tired of the lies and the lack of leadership and the cronyism that tells me we need campaign finance reform now, so we have folks with the character to represent the people first and only. There's no more time to wait it out in the comfort of our homes.

The prices at the pump and our financial hit pending this winter are direct results of failed middle east policies and suggest how woefully inadequate our energy policy has been. A vision for alternative energy is a must... and I am prepared to propose it. When our economy is strong there are funds to repair our roads, bridges and schools and fund our police, firemen and teachers. When we cut taxes of the most wealthy and large corporations and borrow from China in large sums, we stifle entrepreneurial and job growth. It most impacts property owners in the form of unfair tax increases and middle income households in the form of dwindling discretionary earnings. Those least able, the aged with fix income and most disadvantaged, are the first impacted, as readily witnessed by Katrina. The continued absence of any loud voice to ensure we all have healthcare is unacceptable. If this makes me pro-labor, pro- (small) business and pro-community, then it is what it is.

I believe a community's strength requires equality. Dual income households should not be handicapped because a woman historically receives less pay than a man. Our churches provide spiritual guidance and should be respected when supporting our desires to love our neighbor, not judge them because their practices and beliefs are different. This is where extremism whether Muslim or right-wing neoconservative views preaching "God's" will causes a repeat of historic conflicts resulting in attrition. That's discrimination and was never intended by the original crafters of our constitution. We witnessed how it has now provided a GOP stronghold in the executive, judicial and legislative branches with only five more Republican Senators needed for the GOP to rubber-stamp every agenda the Bush administration wills. I embrace endorsements I have received in the past from NOW, OUTPAC, ACORN and other similar groups who care for those who are often underrepresented.

I NEED your help to get my message to and support of like minded citizens. I NEED your input to better craft my campaign message, so it is YOUR message. This rally and campaign must be YOUR campaign. It can be your letter to an editor in support, 20 bucks or just 10 hours of compiling a list and contacting your friends, family and people at work.

My vision is to show the rest of the nation that in Rhode Island, our small state can be a model, for the rest of the country. People DO HAVE THE POWER to influence the quantity of contributions to a middle income candidate and to ensure their message is heard and that their candidate, and not special and wealthy interests', represent them in a primary. I'd suggest the same if you're unhappy with your current local and state representative; regardless of party.

HONESTLY, this can only happen if you do more than read this blog. Would it not be more entertaining and gratifying to know you influenced the outcome of this primary, as I emerge from below the radar? You can even do it by going to www.rifuture.org and voting for me. As I write this, I'm only two votes shy of tying Chafee. Together we can do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home