Thursday, October 13, 2005

Hitting the radar and wondering whether I'll soar or not

Yesterday, I was interviewed by Scott Mayerowitz of the ProJo. He's a pleasant and decidedly intelligent fellow, looks to be twenty something. Ah, youth and conviction. If we could bottle it.... well you know. I hope the Belo's are treating him well. He seems the type who would enjoy a pet. He suggested to me that Charles Bakst has a sharp wit and a demeanor that proceeds him. This I acknowledge. Incisive perspective tends to get at the heart of most issues and produces controversy.... let the cards and pieces fall where they may.

The interview lasted almost two hours and certainly went over personal warts. Sadly, personal grief sells papers. I heard once when we expect good people to be flawless we establish a standard of hypocrisy that assures both their failure as well as our own.

Personally, I tend to trust people who are more candid about themselves. The open humility that comes with falling down brings compassion for others and sets the stage for how one is able to get back up and go forward. God, if we only practiced this in business and in life more often, we wouldn't spend so much time trying to conceal when we err or how we're flawed. Most successes tend to be borne from past failures. If you study wealthy people and entrepreneurs, you'll find a higher level of divorce and bankruptcies. Ah, balance; if you could just bottle that, too.

So we talked about the personal bankruptcy I declared in 2001 and my two prior marriages (with the second and BK interrelated as they often are) and whether these are issues that should cause concern in a U.S. Senate race. If you read the bio at my website you'll see I have already shared these past challenges. Any clever challenger will find a way to leverage these events. They stand the chance of it backfiring.

I was surprised there was little discussion as to my main platform positions or sentiments about the other candidates or their positions. Do we know them? I, like you reading this, will just have to wait until it hits the press.

Otherwise, things are hectic as we prepare for our announcement on October 25th (5:30 at Hope High School) and grow our staff of volunteers. We have an experienced Rhode Islander/DC politico as our new campaign manager who will work with the sage guidance of Trippi. I will leave to conjecture who this person is until after the announcement... but I will share that affable, solid and stand up are good descriptives.

Business takes me to Hartford, so must sign off. Thanks for taking the time to read, but if you want to make a difference, share a thought, share this blog, vote at www.rifuture.org or join the campaign. I'd like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home